Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Waba Grill in Chantilly



A groupon came by for Waba Grill in Chantilly so I figured I would try this place out to see if I wanted to buy a couple.  I'm always on the lookout for good, cheap, asian places.  Centreville/Chantilly is the asian capitol of Northern Virginia now.  Yes, you heard me.  It's no longer Annandale.  You've gotta go west of the beltway to get to the asian capitol of Virginia.  From asian markets, to asian restaurants, korean bakeries and karaoke, it's all there!  If we could just get a kickass dumpling restauran and a late night ramen bar, we'd be able to finally compete with rockville/silver spring for the mideast asian capitol.

So two coworkers joined me on the trip at lunch.  One was reassuring me that it was really good because she's been there before several times already even though it just opened.  Standing in line, I felt like I was at an Asian Chipotle somehow.  The kitchen staff had huge amounts of steak and chicken cooking on the flame grill and the front-line people were super efficient. It was a bit odd to see full asians and full mexicans working side by side but hey, you want authenticity AND affordable hard-working labor so that's how it's done. Their formula is simple.  You are basically are getting some rice with some marinated meat on top and they are making money on high volume.  Options are beef (a lot like bulgogi but not quite as fatty), chicken, Salmon or shrimp.  For a little more you can get some fresh cooked veggies, as well.

The food came out super fast.  Perfect for a power work lunch.  In fact, it came out so fast, we ran over to Tutti Frutti in Centreville for some froyo and WOW that Taro froyo with mochi and rainbow jellies is the SHIT.  I digress... So back to Waba.  Pretty good value over all.  I just drank water but a combination chicken/beef bowl with veggies with a drink would be just under ten bucks.  I'll definitely be going back again soon.

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment