Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dukem and Ben's Chili Bowl

Sampler platter #14 at Dukem
Dukem

DC is known for many things, however, two little known facts about DC are that it houses more Ethiopians than anywhere in the world besides Ethiopia and that it also houses a National Treasure - Ben's Chili Bowl.

Ethiopian food is not for everyone.  If you are a germ-a-phobe, you will likely have anxiety attacks, especially if you are eating in a big group.  However, it's a lot of fun and for most people, I recommend you try it.  The gist of the eating style is sitting down around a very large metal tray that has a starchy substance covering it like pizza dough called "Injera".  Everything seems to revolve around the Injera, which my friend describes as looking like an Ace bandage.  It serves as an edible plate as well as the utensil for picking up the food (basket of Injera on the side).  Yes, there are no forks or chopsticks.  You just use your hands! You essentially use Injera to pick up small handfuls of the different meat and vegetable courses.

We ordered Sampler platter #14 which included Tibs (sort of like Steak Fajitas), some spicy lamb Wot and Minchet Abesh which is like a mild ground beef.   The Michet Abesh was a little less flavorful than I was hoping/expecting but all three dishes were good.  For vegetables, we got the potatoes and chick peas (both were a 2 dollar upgrade which I found a bit ridiculous) as well as yellow peas, collard greens and Lentils.  The potatoes and chick peas were good but it was more about the sauce they were in than then actual vegetables.  I think there were only two or three small potato chunks in our sampler portion.  I'm used to cooked chickpeas being very tender and the one chickpea I got out of the dish was huge but undercooked.   I liked mixing the vegetables with the meats inside a good chunk of Injera.  The food spiciness ranged from mild to medium.  Nothing was overpowering but it would have been nice to have my water glass filled a bit more attentively.

Overall, the atmosphere at Dukem is very nice.  We were seated upstairs which has more of a lounge atmosphere.  The service is very average.  I asked for a menu item accommodation and seemed to annoy the server.  The overall experience was fun, yet nothing "special".  My next Ethiopian food visit will be to Ethiopic on H street which has a slightly better reputation.

Rating - 2.5 out of 5 stars



My apologies for destroying my half-smoke before snapping this
Ben's Chili Bowl!!!!!  Where have you been all my life?  I've seen the lines outside this place a couple of times and wondered what the heck was going on inside.  Then I saw Anthony Bourdain visit there on his show No Reservations and decided it was time to go.  There is a lot of history surrounding Ben's which I won't get into but what's most important is that Ben's has a cultish following that has no trouble waiting in line for an hour at 3 AM for food.

Our group waited in line for a good 45 minutes as our line snaked through the outside and inside of the restaurant.  The ambiance is wonderful inside.  Everyone is there with a common purpose which is to enjoy some good comfort food after a fun night of dancing somewhere nearby.  We order chilidogs and half-smokes, cheese fries and a vanilla shake.  I am a HUGE fan of late night dining. Your group can sober up while telling stories about things that went down that night while enjoying something sobering and delicious.  Ben's is now at the top of my list of late night dining spots.   The half-smoke with chili is just simply perfect.  The chili is just the right amount of spicy and the half-smoke has a great flavor to it.  The cheese fries.... ohhhh the cheese fries.  It was almost a race to the bottom of the basket between two of us in our group.  My mouth is literally watering right now as I write this.  The Vanilla Shake was a normal Vanilla Shake but complemented everything just right.  At 3:30 in the morning, I defy anyone to find a better meal.

A little tip. Have one person in your group be responsible for scoping out seating while the rest of you eat.  It frees up space in the line for everyone else and also ensures you aren't standing around holding your trays after you pay.  And bring cash.  I don't think they take credit cards.

Rating - 5 out of 5 stars - Ben's delivers as promised and above expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment