Sunday, April 1, 2012

Photo stream of food and drink from Japan

Here are some foodie highlights from my trip to Japan.  It was a daily culinary adventure that I will always remember.  The Japanese eat extremely healthy starting with breakfast.  I've always believed that eating a healthy breakfast is key.  The Japanese seem to have lean proteins and vegetables as a part of their breakfast which could explain why they are all so lean!  How ironic is it that even though they live off seafood that they may secretly be one of the world's leaders in pastries and exotic desserts, as well. 

Enjoy the photos :)  For easier loading, they are all small but you can click on each one to get a closer look.

Raw lobster, raw prawns and a crunchy raw clam are some of the crazier things I've eaten.

The live-cooked abalone at the bottom was pretty cool.

Lobster flavored Miso soup with a glass of Sapporo

You can't get whale blubber in the US but you can in Tsikiji Fish Market.

My packaged bento box on the bullet train leaving Tokyo.

A look inside!

My first homemade udon with onion, beef and some sour plum.

I will say that the US has mastered the Asian Froyo store.  However, this place had some cool toppings.


When I think of a meal at home in Japan, this will forever be what I imagine.

Miso soup with clams and green tea.  Beautiful serving-ware.

Hot Soba with seaweed and bamboo shoots.

Udon with meat.  They have little bottles of stuff that resembles red pepper as pepper shakers at every restaurant.

My family's restaurant definitely qualifies for 5-star presentation. 

For people that prefer cooked stuff, this tray has got it all.



A piece of bbq'd eggplant.  This was a big hit.

Ahhhh, the desserts.  Impossible to choose just one :)

One of the more american specialties.  A breaded pork cutlet with curry sauce over rice.

Words cannot describe how much I like their flan.

I could live off this snack.  Every Japanese bakery seemed to have some version of this cheesy-bread.

What a healthy breakfast.  Lean, green stuff and some protein.

This is called Monja and features Mochi, cabbage and sour plum.  Great late night food.

Monja, done cooking.
My third serving of fois gras at an amazing buffet restaurant in Tokyo.

More desserts.  Stunning presentation.

Dry soba at a village restaurant near Tokyo. 

Plum wine and sake with a green plum in the bottom.  This was semi-sweet and surprisingly delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment