Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ford's Fish Shack

Strip malls normally do not attract good restaurant's but every so often you get a new place that turns out to be a gem.   Ford's Fish Shack is one of those gems in a very modest location on waxpool in Ashburn, Virginia.

I've frequented the restaurants that tried to make it in the Ford's Fish Shack location prior to their opening, but they all failed.  When I saw Ford's go up and read their name, I rolled my eyes thinking, here we go again!  Another poor attempt at a restaurant in the same cursed location.  However, I was sorely mistaken.  Ford's is here to stay!  My first visit involved a lengthy conversation with the manager (his name escapes me but he's a redish haired guy that blends in with his staff pretty easily) who explained to me what they were trying to do with Ford's.  It's been a while since I first visited but my trip there this past week made me realize that they were due for a review on Brian's Food Adventures, along with the accolades and fame that go along with a good review on here :)

Ford's has one of the best fish sandwiches I've ever had.  Understand that when I say this....I've had a lot of great fish sandwiches on the coasts of many ocean-front restaurants.  I have fond memories of amazing fried fish and chips in the pacific northwest as well as fresh fried fish that I have caught hours prior to eating it.  Ford's has an excellent frying technique that leaves the fish slightly oily, extremely crispy, yet light.  If you are a fried seafood lover, you can't go wrong with their fried fish sandwich, fish tacos or their fried shrimp taco's.  Both will leave an impression.  I've also tried their crab cake which blew me away for a strip mall location.  I believe the head chef was previously the creator of the crab cake recipe for bonefish grill, another popular Ashburn seafood restaurant.  A very respectable crabcake, indeed.  One of the best parts of living in the Maryland/Northern-Virginia area is the availability of a great Maryland style crabcake.  And you know what they say.  Crabcakes and football, that's what Maryland does!

Ford's puts out some solid appetizers and good side dishes.  Points for me for putting broccolini on the menu instead of your standard steamed broccoli.  The deviled eggs (which I've seen but obviously didn't try) make me wonder if there is a trace of Great American Restaurants in the lineage of the head chef somewhere.  Last but not least, I've enjoyed several nice desserts at Ford's including a wonderful fresh fruit shortcake last week.  If this seasonal item is on the menu, definitely try it out.

Service is normally pretty good at Ford's.  I had a couple of minor blips during my initial visits there but was taken care of with comp'd food and visits from the manager as expected from a great restaurant.  As a restaurant transitions from being occasionally swamped to consistently swamped, things normally can be a little dicey but it appears they have worked everything out.   Oh, I almost forgot... Their jalapeno cheese muffins with sweet butter rank up there as one of the best bread courses in Virginia/DC/MD.  And yes, that means they are better than Ozzie Rolls!  You can try not to fill up on these before your entree but failure is likely!

Overall, if you are in northern virginia and have not tried Ford's yet, head out there and check it out.  The word is out though so I recommend calling ahead, especially on busy nights or even at lunch!  I couldn't get a table there on a Monday at 12:15 two weeks ago!  

Rating - 4.5 stars out of 5

(I dropped the ball and inhaled my food before getting pics.  I will try to update with pics from my next visit!)

No comments:

Post a Comment