Monday, February 18, 2013

Tommy Dinic's - Reading Terminal Station Philly

RTS during peak hours
Reading Terminal Station.... This is a foodie mecca.  It's surprising to hear how few people even know of its existence.  Everyone associates Pat's, Gino's and Jim's steaks with Philadelphia but if that's all you experience while in Philly, you are completely missing out.  Inside this old train station are rows and rows of food stands almost all of which are worth paying a visit.  The cookie stand and hand-dipped ice cream stands are a good bet, as well as the cheesesteak stand, the creperia and the Amish market.  However, one stand rises above the rest.  With a line that pretty normally extends 100 people deep, Tommy Dinic's is the heartbeat of Reading Terminal Station.

I woke up on a Saturday morning and after talking about the cravings I've been having for Tommy Dinic's in the last couple of months, I finally got in the car, picked up a friend and made the trip to Philly.  I can't lie and say that the trip was all about anything other that driving 2.5 hours just for lunch.  Crazy?  Maybe.  Worth it?  Absolutely.

Tommy Dinics specializes in hoagie sandwiches.  Two of their sandwiches are absolutely incredible.  The first and most famous, is their Roast Pork sandwich with Broccoli rabe and sharp provolone.  The Travel Channel apparently named this the greatest sandwich in America.  So this was definitely on my list.  However, my real reason for driving to Philly was their other sandwich... the beef brisket sandwich with roasted peppers and sharp provolone.

First the pork sandwich.  I can see what the fuss is about.  The pulled pork is extremely juicy as it sits in a hot broth until it is ready to serve.  If you haven't had broccoli rabe before, it's essentially chopped up, seasoned broccoli.  It makes for a nice condiment and it's healthy!  This is the only place I've been that serves sharp provolone and I love it!  But is this the best sandwich in America?  Sadly, no.  My pork was a little dry by the last few bites and I felt the sandwich lacked seasoning.

It would probably make my top 10 but what's crazy is, the sandwich that without a doubt is the best sandwich I've ever had.... is the beef brisket sandwich.



Just look at that meat!  Chunks of the most moist and flavorful beef brisket you've ever had. I ordered peppers and the waitress suggested I try a blend of hot and mild peppers.  This turned out to be a great idea.  The sharp provolone serves as a basin of sorts that succeeds in keeping the juices from the meat in the sandwich instead of completely soaking through the bread.  To add a little kick, I added some horseradish sauce which is in a metal tin at your booth.  Together, the full package is a heavenly blend of texture and flavor that takes your breath away. 

I washed my meal down with a coke and grabbed a warm cookie on the way out.  Before leaving, I picked up a strawberry rhubarb pie at the Amish market stand and said goodbye to RTS.  Until next time, RTS.

Unless you enjoy waiting in line for 20-30 minutes, here is a really simple little tip only for my readers.  Stalk the people who are sitting at the counter and grab seats as soon as they get up.  No one sits for too long here so if you are a good seat stalker, you are golden.  Most of the patrons are just grabbing a couple of sandwiches to go, so there is almost no competition for these seats.  The best part?  You get served immediately!

Rating - 5 out of 5 stars. 



No comments:

Post a Comment