Friday, February 3, 2012

Cherry Blossom Afghan Buffet - Sterling, VA

I've been to Cherry Blossom several times before but am finally getting around to writing a review.  Cherry Blossom is a large event-hall restaurant right off route 7 in Sterling.  It's very much tucked away so you'll need google maps to find it.  The dining room is a partitioned off area of the large conference hall which appears to be new and very nice, if you are looking to host an event in the future. 

The food is surprisingly good for a buffet.  I'm fairly particular about my middle-eastern food as I've had homemade Persian food many times and it's tainted my standards a bit.  There is salad with a yogurt dressing, a good number of hot vegetable dishes and several meat dishes.  My favorite has to be the potatoes, green been with a light red sauce and their chicken kabob. They offer several types of basmati rice including a spinach rice which is quite nice.  I will give Cherry Blossom credit.  Their chicken kabob is the most tender and juicy of any I've had.  There is nothing worse for me than trying to eat dry kabob on a bed of rice (Moby Dick).  Their kubideh (ground beef) kabob doesn't vibe with me.  I tend to prefer the way Persian restaurants make their kubideh as compared to Afghan restaurants.  Most of the veggie dishes had a little bit of spice to them but overall, the food was mild and heat-tolerable for kids and adults both. 

For dessert, a little white pudding with nuts and a hint of cardamom hits the spot or fresh fruit if you are watching your figure.  All this for under 10 dollars.  Check it out if you need a new lunch spot in the Sterling area.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment