Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sorrento's Grill Tapas in Herndon

The chicken bites were the only highlight
Sorrento's in Ashburn used to be one of my favorite lunch spots.  Their kubideh and khoresht (Persian stew) were excellent and the wait staff always took good care of me.  Then one day, they were shut down because of a landlord issue.  I was their last customer.  It was a sad, sad day.  I love food so seeing one of my regular establishments go under was heart-wrenching.  Or maybe I was just hungry.

So when I saw that Sorrento's in Herndon (a fast-food version of the former Ashburn location) opened a Tapas Grill directly behind their existing restaurant, I got excited.  Unfortunately, there is not much to get excited about yet.  This place is a perfect case for groupons.  They were completely dead when I went and I imagine no one in the area knows they are open due to their hidden location behind the Herndon clock tower.  There was only one waiter working and no management on site (I asked to speak to someone).  The waiter was unenthusiastic and his english was barely good enough to understand my questions about the menu.  I asked for the waiter to check if I could order half-portions of some of the items so I could try more things. I have my faithful readers to write for, after all!  After trying several times to get him to understand, it was clear that he had no clue how to talk to the kitchen or ring it up as a half portion so I gave up.  The owner of the Sorrento's in Ashburn would have brought me out half-portions, probably wouldn't have charged me for it and I could' have reviewed more items for my readers.  Alas, I only sampled a few things....  Here we go.


Patatas Bravas???  I don't think so.
Patatas Bravas - Nothing like the Spanish version you've probably had and loved.  These were heavy thick wedges, lightly battered and fried.  A super heavy appetizer and almost lost my entire appetite after just a few pieces. They came accompanied by ketchup and a white sauce. A far cry from the normal spicy red and white sauces normally served with this dish.  $5.50

Camarones al ajillo (garlic shrimp) - This was ok.  Very heavy on the garlic and a good quantity of shrimp.  $9.00

Pimenton Chicken Bites - Very interesting dish.  Shredded chicken on top of small pieces of toast.  Each one topped with a tomato-cucumber relish.  I ate all four pieces.  Very light and healthy.  Just a little lacking in flavor.

Desserts were lacking so I opted to pass on dessert here. I really missed Jaleo's flan-of-perfection at this stage of the meal.

Smoothies - Not a bad smoothie!  I got the Acai smoothie and was surprised that it tasted so fresh.  Smoothies in a tapas restaurant are an interesting idea.  I'd probably order another one on a return visit.

I'll be back to try more of their menu, which was very diverse and interesting to look at.  My suspicion though is that the food and service will continue their initial pattern of "very mediocre".  You aren't going to get out of there without spending 20 dollars a person and that's without drinks.That's a bit steep for the ambience of the backside of the clock tower in Herndon!  Still, I've got a place to get some tapas and sit outside drinking Sangria once spring rolls around.

2 out of 5 Stars

Garlic Shrimp. 



Sorrento's Tapas in Herndon


No comments:

Post a Comment